Sunday, May 8, 2011

I will always wave back

photo by Brian Auer - fineartphotoblog.com


A friend of mine has this quote on her blog:
"You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around and why his parents always wave back."
- William D. Tammelus

I happened to click on her blog today and this quote struck me.
Probably in part because it is Mother's Day and I'm naturally reflecting on motherhood.
I won't even try to analyzed or explain my thoughts on understanding human nature,
I just simply know how it feels to watch my son on a merry-go-round.
It's one of the things that brings out natural smiles and laughs from him.
And every time around, he smiles and waves at me.
And even though it's repetitious and silly,
I never want to miss a wave.

This season of life won't last forever.
One day he will be grown and on his own.
But for now, he is 4.
He is wild, all boy and a mood-swinging maniac,
He is beautiful, smart and a free spirit,
and he is a part of me.
He is my son.
 I would not trade this time for anything!

So every time that smiling little boy yells, "Hi, Mommy!" and waves.
I'll be there to smile and wave as well.

And when the time comes around for my little girl to do the same,
I'll watch her smile and wave and I will always wave back!



No comments:

Post a Comment