Tuesday, May 26, 2009

" Help, please. "

Zachary's new favorite phrase is "Zachy try it!".  No matter what it is, "Zachy try it!".  He doesn't want help anymore.  He wants to do it on his own.  He wants to try.  So I step back and let him try.  When he does it, he is so excited, but when he can't do it, he is so frustrated.  I try to help him and he immediately says, "Zachy try!".  Sometimes he says it with such an expression that I can't help but smile.  He wants so badly to do it and just doesn't realize that sometimes and extra hand makes all the difference.  I will let him try, but I will be right there when he turns to me and says, "help, please."
This morning I was hit with the realization of how much I am like that.  I am not very good at asking for help.  I tend to try to do it all on my own, after all, I know how I want it done so I might as well just do it so it turns out the way I want it to.  Am I the only one who struggles with this?  Today I was reading from Jeremiah 6.  The prophet speaks to the people about the destruction of Jerusalem due to their disobedience and turning away from God.  In the midst of all this destructive talk, there is a verse that struck me.  It is Jeremiah 6:16 "This is what the Lord says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is and walk in it and you will find rest for your souls.'"  God continues to plead with his people, trying to get them to hear his call, his word of love and reconciliation, but the people continue to turn away and not listen.  How that passage struck me today.  Lately I feel like it has been all about "Michelle try it!".  No wonder I am feeling heavy laden these days.  Today was the first time I have opened my Bible in weeks, possibly months.  I have been consumed with every day life and have forgotten about every day faith.  I always want to try things.  I never want to lose my drive, but I also know that I can't do this life on my own.  I need Jesus.  He is my Savior, my friend, my way, my life.   He is always here, letting me try but ready to pick me up when I finally remember to ask for help. May I always remember that He is my help.
So here I am, opening the Word and hearing God speak to me..."Stand at this crossroads and look; ask where the good way is and walk in it and you will find rest for your soul."  Thank you, Lord, thank you!
May He speak those words to you today as well and may you find rest for your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment