Monday, June 8, 2009

Dangerous Wonder

A while back, I was a part of an amazing group of women who met regularly for Bible study.  We read through several books of the Bible, shared thoughts and prayers and simply enjoyed being together.  Those days bring back fond memories.  I miss those women.  Today, I live several hundred miles away and mostly keep up with them through facebook and Christmas letters.  Our lives have changed with marriages, babies, celebrations and tragedies, yet no matter how far apart we are, every time I discover an event that is or has happened in their lives, I celebrate, grieve with and pray for them.  I think we will always be connected deeply even if we are not connected daily like we use to be.
This group of women were brought to my mind the other day as I was searching the bookshelf for a new book to read during my devotional time.  I saw the book tucked in the back and knew with one glance that I needed to read it.  The book is entitled "Dangerous Wonder" and is written by Michael Yaconelli.   I first read this book as I sat on the floor of a girlfriend's house surrounded by good friends trying to deepen our relationship with Jesus.  The book spoke to my soul in simple, yet profound ways.  I haven't picked up that book since.  Today as I read the second chapter, I am struck by how this life takes hold of me and squeezes my faith and joy to near dryness...over and over again.  There are many days that I long for that group of ladies to sit with, laugh with, cry with and just be with.  Life takes you on journeys where you say good-byes and pack memories, journeys which can fill you up and run you down.  But no matter where life takes us, Jesus walks with us.  The memories of those friendships and the desires we had to walk each day with Jesus has reignited a passion in my soul which I have almost let flicker out.
"Every day I want to be in dangerous proximity to Jesus.  I long for a life that explodes with meaning and is filled with adventure, wonder, risk and danger.  I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous.  I want to be with Jesus, not knowing whether to cry or laugh." - Micheal Yaconelli
"It is time to find the place where the dangerous wonder of faith can be discovered - a place landscaped by risky curiosity, wild abandon, daring playfulness, quiet listening, irresponsible passion, happy terror and naive grace.  In a day when most of us are tired, worn-out, thirsty and starving for life and joy and peace, maybe it's time to become a child again." - Micheal Yaconelli
Sigh...that is where I am, this is what I need... to sit at the feet of Jesus and be filled with awe, wonder, joy and abundant life that Jesus promises.  A good friend mentioned recently that she wonders if such a life is realistic.  I believe it is, but I know I can't experience it on my own.  I need to walk with Jesus each day and spend time at His feet as much as possible.
Thanks, ladies, for introducing me to this book and for the many days we spent sharing and growing together.  I miss you all and love you forever!
"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." - Jesus, Matthew 18

No comments:

Post a Comment