Monday, October 26, 2009

furious longing

43 I've been looking for a new book to read during my quiet times and my wonderful husband handed me this book thinking it might speak to my soul.  It's amazing just how much my husband knows me.  The best description I can make is actually written on the back cover. "Imagine a stormy day at sea, your ship yielding to a relentless wind, pummeled by crashing waves, subject to the awesome force of nature.  A force that is both fierce and majestic.  A power that is nothing short of furious.  Such is God's intense, consuming love for His children.  It's a love that knows no limits and no boundaries. A love that will go to any lengths and take any risks to pursue us."   I have only finished two chapters and my soul has been fed and my mind has been challenged. 
When I looked up furious in the dictionary it gave basically two meanings; full of anger or energy, violent or intense.  It seems easy for some to see God as angry and violent with all that goes on in this world, but Brennan focuses on the energy and intensity of the love of God, using adjectives like passionate, vehement and aching.  He focuses in on the longing God has to redeem and reconcile all His children to Him.  He loves us all that much.  The verse that has deeply spoken to me and lays on my heart these past few days is the one he references is Zephaniah 3:17; "The Lord your God is with you.  He is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you.  He will rejoice over you with singing."  Oh praise God!  What if we took a closer, deeper look at the furious longing, unconditional love of God and focused on that rather than the wrath and anger of God towards His people?  Isn't it possible that God weeps every day at what He witnesses and rejoices over His children as they abide in Him and reach out to others?  I know He is mighty, holy, powerful and hates evil, but what greater power there is in love!  I am so thankful I have a loving God who forgives and longs for my heart.  If He was only out to punish me when I make mistakes and sin...well that would be a rough life, and life is rough enough already.

No comments:

Post a Comment