Wednesday, March 3, 2010

In the silence of the Night

There is just something about being up at 3 AM with my little girl.  In the wee hours of the morning and night, I have been reading Celtic Benediction - Morning and Night Prayer by Philip Newell.  It's a collection of scripture and prayers to reflect on.  It's been a beautiful time for me with my daughter.
This morning focused on Love - of the love from which all life is born.  As I sat in the stillness holding my little girl, I was overcome with the love I felt at that moment for her, for my husband, for my son, for this family the Lord has given to me to love.    The scripture today was from John 15:12 - Jesus said, "This is my commandment that you love one another as I have loved you."

How do I find that unconditional state of mind to love beyond my means.  To love my son as he adjusts to his new sister.  To love my husband as he works hard to adjust to a new schedule.  To love my daughter in the midst of adjustment, but most of all, to love myself as a mom and wife that God has called me to be.

It's a call I do not take lightly.  This role as a mom and wife.  I am thrilled by it, scared of it and challenged by it.  Praise the Lord for the grace and love he showed to us on the cross.  It is in that shadow that I bow my head in humble gratitude for the perfect picture of love.  It is in that grace that I walk by faith, desiring to really experience and be a part of the healing love of Christ.

Praise you dearest Jesus, for loving us so much that you laid down your life for us.  Work in our hearts this Lenten season to truly live out that love in our daily lives.

1 comment:

  1. I remember holding ELijah in the middle of the night and just crying because I was so overwhelmed by the love that I felt for him and how being a mom totally changed my understanding of how much God loves me. Thank you for sharing Michelle!

    ReplyDelete