Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Flawed


Flawed: 1.  n, an imperfection or blemish; defect
    2. v To make or become defective

Have you ever considered yourself flawed?  
 It's not really a pretty thought, especially when you read the definition above; blemish, defect.
It's true though.  I know it.  I am not perfect.

I started a new book by Dorothy Valcarcel entitled When A Woman Meets Jesus.
Valcarcel digs into the heart to shine light on burdens that we tend to carry and relates these burdens to women in the Bible who were transformed by the perfect, unconditional love of the Savior.  It's a book that is making me take a hard look at myself, who I am and who I was created to be.  I long to be strong, perfect, secure, confident, understood, worthy, joyful, stress-free, organized...  And I long for these so that I will be loved.  There is a deep longing in every person to be loved fully and unconditionally.  Don't we work so hard, try so hard, just to be appreciated and loved?  I know I do.  We may be loved in wonderful ways (my husband loves me beyond what I sometimes deserve), but only one can fill our deepest needs and longings; Jesus.  As I walk each day, carrying burdens I cannot bear, this is the truth I need to hear; I am loved, perfectly, wholly and unconditionally just the way I am.

I am not perfect.  I am flawed. 
 I am broken, but I am saved, restored, renewed through Jesus. 
"...I am fearfully and wonderfully made..." Psalm 139:14

Perfection
To be perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect...
How, O God, am I to understand the word?
Perfect and pure in heart?
What means pure?
Pure, pure, pure apple juice!
I begin to sense a clue.
Pure apple juice is made from the whole apple;
bruises, blemish, skin , core - the whole imperfect works.
Pure apple juice is not pasteurized, refined, filtered, nonentity!
Bruises, blemishes, skin and core.
To be perfect is to be whole, a paradox even as our Father in Heaven.

Mary Caroline Richards, poet
Laughter, Silence, Shouting



No comments:

Post a Comment