Saturday, October 23, 2010

Casting


Have you watched discus throwing during the Olympics?
I think it's amazing, the strength they have.
I've often thought that a discus I tried to throw would probably land at my feet.
Not sure I would even be able to even spin around to throw it.

However, this image is now my new challenge.

Brian and I were at an amazing retreat this past week.
We were challenged with many things related to faith and ministry.
A big one for me came from 1 Peter 5:6
"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

A familiar verse, one that is such a needed reminder for me often.
This week I saw it in a new light.
Do you know what the Greek word for "cast" is here?
It is epiripto, a compound of the words
epi - as on top of something
and
ripto - meaning to hurl, to throw, or to cast.  
It often means to violently throw or to fling with great force.

Do you get it? 
We are not simply to lay our burdens at the feet of Jesus with humble hearts,
asking in quiet prayer to help us and take our worries and burdens.
Oh you can do that if you want.  He'll take them.
But Peter tells us, permits us, commands us to hurl them, to throw with great force!
To grab those burdens, worries, anxieties with all the emotion we have.
To tell them they are not welcome, not wanted and will not rule our hearts,
and with all our might, all our strength, cast them away,
rip them through the air at God. 
And to do it in faith - being sure and certain!
He wants us to get rid of them,
and to give them to him.

There is such freedom for me in this image.
I can picture myself grabbing the anxieties by the neck,
telling them that I am done with them.
They will not take over my heart.
They will not rule my life.
For I am a child of the Father.
I am forgiven and free.
Ah, what peace!

I pray you will find the same peace as you let go and hurl yours with all the strength you have.
I think we'll be amazed at how far we can throw them,
for our strength is in Jesus. 
When we stand in faith in Him, we can move mountains!

Dearest Jesus,
teach me to truly cast my burdens onto you,
not with humble hope
but with firm faith.
Thank you for the freedom and peace I find in you.
Take my life and let it be
all for you and for your glory!
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment