Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"Who is this?"


Storms
They can be quite powerful, can't they?
Beautiful and scary all at once.

We are entering a stormy season here at the Spahr house.
Some unknown future things.
I know many can relate to this kind of storm these days.
It's hard, frustrating, scary, heavy...

This morning I was reading in Matthew a familiar story that is very fitting for this season I find us in.
It was the storm at sea.
Matthew 8:23-27
Yes, I relate myself to the disciples who are crazy scared.
Yes, I hear Jesus talking to me when he says,
"What are you so afraid of, you of little faith."
as he demonstrates his power in calming the wind and the waves.
I get it.  I hear it.

But today what struck me most about this story was the very last statement;
"Who is this?  
What sort of man is He, that the sea and the winds listen to him?"

I know that answer and I believe in it!  Don't I?
For He is Jesus, son of the living God,
Lord, Savior, friend.
His love is unconditional and His will is of His Father's,
to give us life abundantly, to heal our hurts, to take our burdens,
to love us and give us peace and grace.

And yet time and time again I cry out in fear and frustration.
But if I truly believe in who this man is, 
then I will not be afraid, for I know that Jesus is with me and 
I can do all things through Him.
Our monthly family verse is
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid"
Deuteronomy 31:6

Zachary can say it by himself.
But if I want Zachary to truly believe and live these words,
then I must truly believe and live them also.

Recently I have been challenged with what the word believe actually means.
In Greek, the word pisteuo means an active trust,
taking action based on certainty you have in your heart.
to believe is not to simply have faith.
It is how we show our faith in our actions.

Through this storm that is raging around me and my family,
there is a temptation to give up, to leave it all and seek something different.
But I want to believe.
To believe in that which the Lord has begun.  And to stick with it,
through the smooth sailing and the rough waves.
I want to be strong and courageous.
I want to cast out fear and trust fully in Jesus.
In truth, I can not do that on my own.
It is a daily dying and rising.
It is a daily surrendering.
Once again, I am reminded of that.

"So do not worry about tomorrow. 
 Let tomorrow worry about itself.  
Living faithfully is a large enough task for today."
Matthew 6:31-34 -The Voice Bible

Dearest Jesus I know who you are.
I believe in you.
May I stand with courage and give you each day, one day at a time.
Bring to me the inner change needed to make the outer change happen.
I turn towards you today,
seeking grace, assurance and courage.
For I know the plans you have are good.
And I will trust in you.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment