Sunday, August 5, 2012

May I be...

Jerusalem By Dora Ficher


"Oh Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets 
and stone those sent to you,
 how often I have longed to gather your children together,
as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, 
but you were not willing.
Look, your house is left to you desolate.
 I tell you, you will not see me again until you say,
'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"
Luke 13: 34-35

This morning I was drawn to this passage.
There is something deep within me that resonated with it.
I love the image of a Jesus gathering his children 
out of love and protection.
But that is not what took hold in me today.

How often do I welcome the one who come in the name of the Lord?
I do welcome the Lord into my life daily.
Blessed be Jesus! Absolutely!

But, how often do I welcome, love, care for and bless those 
Jesus sends my way?
Do I kill the "prophets" and "stone" those who He sends to me
with my lack of awareness, my daily battles, frustrations 
and self-centeredness?
Life is busy.  There is always a To Do List on my desk.
I am chasing after 2 kiddos, trying to spend time with friends,
trying to keep in touch with family, trying to keep my house in order...
I really don't think I have to go on.  
You get it, right?

Busy. Busy. Busy.
I am praying for forgiveness today,
for those I have overlooked,
those God has sent my way to bless and honor and serve.
And I pray this morning for new eyes and new ears,
to slow down and refocus,
to be open for people of peace in my life.
This life is too short and too fast to worry about my To Do Lists.
I want to focus on the hearts of those around me.
There is joy to be found in this hard world,
Joy, Peace, Love and Grace.
May I be a part of the world's healing this day.

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment